- It was for instance mentioned in the ancient Egyptian Amarna letters written in cuneiform in the 14th century BCE (before Christian era;
- Petra was one of the Stations in the List of Exodus;
- Aaron, the brother of Moses is buried on Mt Hor above the city of Petra;
- Christianity founds its way into Petra in the 4th Century AD; following the Islamic Conquest of 629-632 , Christianity in Petra as in most of Arabia gave way to Islam;
- During the First Crusade the city was occupied by King Baldwin 1 of the Kingdom of Jerusalem and remained in the hands of the Franks until 1189;
- And curiously Petra is still listed as a Titular See of the Roman Catholic Church.
To view the place of Petra on a television screen is amazing, but to experience it first hand is life changing.
|Through the narrow Siq...|
|Horsemen of Petra - photo by Mehdi Hassanet|
|...dazzling pinks and apricot....|